The ErosionLab® facility, based out of Rice Lake, Wisconsin, is currently taking applications for the ErosionLab Manager position.
Conducts tests and field investigations at large-scale erosion and sediment control research and development laboratory, to obtain data for use by environmental, engineering, and scientific personnel in determining sources and methods of controlling pollutants in air, water, and soil. Confers with Application Engineers and other sources, in application of principles, methods, and techniques of soil erosion testing technology. Writes technical papers and test reports and travels across the country periodically, to represent company and present findings. Conducts tests and collects data on performance of existing, new, and competitive erosion and sediment control products, for determining methods of improving these products by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates equipment and instruments to provide statistical information of erosion and sediment control product performance.
- Tests materials used as ingredients of products for such qualities as stability, density, absorption, tensile strength, water holding capacity, etc.
- Develops testing protocol and tests, preparing them for field test documentation form with the use of computer equipment.
- Tests samples of manufactured products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Records test results on standardized forms and writes test reports describing procedures used. Prepares graphs and charts.
- Conducts field and lab tests according to prescribed methods to determine characteristics or composition and performance of all erosion and sediment control products.
- Collects soil, silt, or mud to determine effectiveness of products tested.
- Conducts germination testing on all erosion control products, and develops methods of improving germination.
- Operates equipment necessary to bring test plots back to original shape for future testing.
- Operates equipment or hand tools such as rakes, hoes, and shovels necessary to keep the facility to original specifications with materials supplied.
- Operates mowing and weed whipping equipment necessary to maintain appearance of grounds.
- Prepares samples for testing, records data, and prepares summaries and charts for review on erosion and sediment control products.
- Installs, operates, and performs routine maintenance on water flow systems, mechanical equipment, and other test instrumentation.
- Calculates dimensions, profile specifications, and quantities of materials such as sand, silt, and clay.
- Operates fixed or mobile monitoring or data collection station.
- Troubleshoots and repairs minor everyday maintenance problems with all related equipment or communicate the problems to the qualified personnel, to ensure the work is completed in a timely fashion with minimal disruption.
- Travels occasionally by vehicle or airplane.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and establishing personal networks.
- Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s of Science (BS) Degree or higher in Engineering or Natural Sciences Fields; or one to two years related experiences and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Communication, Attention to Detail, Technical Writing, Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis, Statistics, Project Design & Management, Problem Solving, Professional Presentations, Equipment Maintenance, Basic Safety, Flexibility, Regularly Lift and/or Move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 90 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
American Excelsior Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.